Living Up To My Name: Mid Maryland 50k

You don’t get a name like mine accidentally.   My three letters of mispronunciation were passed on to me.  Growing up, I was “Little Eva” to my Aunt’s “Big Eva”.  She was always quick to tell me that she was actually “Just Eva” as her grandmother also shared the name.   As an adult, I giggle, I guess no woman wants to be called “Big Eva”.
This past weekend, I ran the Mid-Maryland 50k.   This is a 50k broken down into 5-10k loops.   I decided that I would dedicate this race to Aunt Eva.  
Loop 1:   I thought about the quilt that Aunt Eva made for Noah when he was born.  She hand-quilted this beautiful square, that became a favorite for my Boy.  This became the blanket that Noah took EVERYWHERE!  This blanket became so adored, that it took on all of Noah’s experiences.   It got so dirty, it was affectionately referred to as “Skanky the Blankie”.  And, although he does not carry it with him anymore, I was overjoyed to see Skanky on the shelf in his closet when I took a peek before writing this blog.  
Ok, first loop.  Weather was mild,  I set the pace I will keep for the race.  Legs feel great, let’s see what I can do with this.
Loop 2:  There is a picture of a small girl that sits at the top of my staircase.  Noah is not fond of it, and frequently tells me that the depicted child “freaks him out”.   But, I will not remove it.   It came in the mail unexpectedly, with a small note.   “The picture is entitled ‘Little Eva’; it is meant for you.”   
That’s right, Little Eva, let’s do the locomotion!     I aimed to keep even splits, and with that song on repeat in my head, I was successful.
Loop 3:  Aunt Eva lived in Florida, a long way from her birthplace of Newfoundland.  My mom told me that she had a “gypsy soul”.  Aunt Eva had an amazing sense of style and grace, and I thought about the time she came to Buffalo for a visit with  my mom.  I’ll never forget the sight of her in a little silk nightie (or my mom with her hand on her chest in shock).  She taught me that no matter what else you do, you can always find something to make you happy.
The rain began during this loop.   I channeled the Florida weather, where there is a downpour, and a relent.   Unfortunately, there was no relent and the trail got increasingly muddy and slippery.   I held tightly to finding what made me happy.  I was maintaining my pace and the weather was drenching my body, but not dampening my spirit in the least.  
Loop 4:  In my cupboards is the china set that she received for her wedding.   Again, a box came out of the blue.  This time, it was accompanied by a long letter telling me about the dinner parties and engagements that these dishes had been featured.   She told that stuff is not important, but the memories are.  I cherish that life lesson and do my best to live it to the fullest.
The rain remained steady, but I was keeping the same pace as I did during the first loop.   It was increasingly impassable, but I focused on how lucky I was to be able to take on this challenge, and that the struggle would certainly give me not only a sense of accomplishment, but wonderful memories.
Loop 5:  Aunt Eva lost her husband, Uncle Cliffy, several years ago.   My mom was with her, and together they waded out into the ocean to distribute his ashes.  If you know my mom and water, this was a BIG deal.   Aunt Eva was madly in love with Uncle Cliffy.  These were two people made for each other.   She knew she was taking my mom out of her comfort zone, and I remember her saying, “It’s okay, Eileen, take a risk”.   She lived her life with this mantra.  I have worked to follow suit.
This loop was hard for me.  My legs were getting tired,but wanted to finish strong for this woman.   I knew it would be smart to slow my pace to accommodate the slippery trail, but why not take the risk and go all out?   I came through the finish shoot, able to maintain even splits.  I was rewarded with a Road Runners Club of America Championship and the satisfaction that I had paid proper homage to a very special woman.
Aunt Eva and I shared more than a name.  The irony is that we also shared a struggle with infertility.  I vividly recall a conversation when I told her I was adopting a little girl.   
“What will you name her?” was her first question.   Upon my response, she told me “the name doesn’t die with you, young lady”  
“Oh, Aunt Eva, I can’t do that to her, we’ve already incorporated a Korean name, and I want it to be pronounceable.”  I protested.
“ I have a solution”, she said.   

My daughter’s middle name is Eve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mendon Ponds 50k Race Report

Phunt 50k 2021

My Life as a Dirty Girl