I'm tired...

I’m not only physically, but I’m emotionally tired.  My husband often tells me that I don’t stop moving.  “just sit down”, “enough”,  “dial it back”, “stop”.  But, I don’t.  I’m lost without my to-do lists, my calendars, and my training log.  I have two insanely busy kids, and I’ve been racing my butt off.  I’m tired.  Very, very tired.

On the way to the Segahunda marathon (okay, the sticker says 26.3, so I guess it’s an ultra) I decided that I just didn’t want to run.  Not that I didn’t want to run Segahunda, I just plain didn’t want to run.

For me, it’s a very clear sign that I’m over-training.

What got me to the starting line was that I was meeting a bunch of people from work.  These are people that I not only see everyday, but who have truly crossed over the line from co-workers to friends.  Most were doing the relay, so a half-marathon for each of them.  For several, it was their first trail race. 

I ran into friends Lisa and Gary before the race.  Gary was running, and Lisa was crewing.  I was so jealous of her.  How great I thought, to be the support person for someone you care about.  But, oh, the lure of a muddy technical trail…

 I decided to suck it up.

During the race, I realized that when I put together my training schedule, I made it rigorous this spring intentionally.  I had very specific training goals for each race, and somehow I was able to hit each one.  

I also know that I am not racing again until August.

So, I’m taking a break.

I wont be running much for the next few weeks.   You may find me in my kayak, on my tri-bike, with my yoga mat, playing with P-90x or maybe even just sitting around.  I don’t do this much, but I have to listen to my body when it’s telling me to stop.  It is time to rest and to recover.  I’m even going to intentionally try to pack on a few pounds (Natalie—keep baking).


Soon enough, I’ll be back out there, logging miles at 4-am. -finding beauty, humor, and serenity in the world.  But, for right now, I’m going to rest through it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mendon Ponds 50k Race Report

Phunt 50k 2021

My Life as a Dirty Girl