What Goes Down Can Come Back Up. Beast of Burden 50

“I think I might be done”.  
“I just don’t feel it anymore”
“I haven’t trained”
“I don’t know if I want to do it”
“I’m not sure it’s my happy anymore”
I spouted all of this and more to Mark the night before the Beast.   He knew it wasn’t typical pre-race insanity. He knew I meant it.


“Well, there’s yoga” he encouraged.


I lost my brother a month ago.   One minute his blood was pumping through his body the way it was supposed to.  The next, it took a different path, and took him with it. Gone. Just. Like. That.


I tried, I really tried to be me, but I was pretending.  I was listening to my excuses. OMG! Was I listening to my own excuses!  I wasn’t finding restorative sleep. I wasn’t taking care of me, and my body was letting me know it.  I wasn’t as alive as I could be.


At the starting line, which is never a healthy place for me, I envisioned just not running.  Just simply letting the herd go by, and going off to find somewhere that I could hang out. I almost did it.  I swear, I could see my car, and I was ready to disappear.


All that stopped me was a little voice I heard in my head: “Come back, Eva”.  And, that voice got me to run past my car, and to embrace vitality of the moment I was in. I didn’t give a damn about finishing/racing/pace/chatting/building up others/smiling etc.   I just had to find a way to me.


I live my life.  Without sounding grandiose, I want to pack this one life  with as many memories as I can. I want to experience every experience.  I want to laugh hard, love strong, and be present. I want to rest my head at night, knowing I have filled the day.  I could honor my brother by doing my best and enjoying what I love to do It’s how he approached life.


All I did physically on Saturday, was put one foot in front of the other for fifty miles.  For my soul, it was emotional CPR.


I don’t regret the process.  It helped me find a good way of looking at a bad thing.  It made me remember that I am very much alive, and that I run through what life gives me. I know I am here today and could be gone tomorrow.  It is my job to be the best me I can be.


I’ll never know where that voice came from, or why those words called me to action.  I do know that, I’ve been picking up the pieces, making forward progress, and coming back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mendon Ponds 50k Race Report

Phunt 50k 2021

My Life as a Dirty Girl