Turkey Trot and Thoughts of 2013

"Hey Mark, what should I write about the Turkey Trot?"  I asked, as I was struggling to put my thoughts together about this 5 mile race that is not really a race; it's more like a moving carnival with 14,000 people.

"Well,"  he said, "You got to run 8 miles by yourself in the morning.  You got all of us to put on stupid costumes.  You got to see your friends on the course.  I could hear you laughing all morning with everyone you were talking to.  You got hysterical comments because you decided to wear a shirt with "Dirty Girl" plastered on the back.  You got to prance around in a tutu and looked good doing it.  And, you beat the boys to the finish line. Why don't you just say it was the perfect start to a perfect day."

Well said, Hubs.  But, it was more than that.  It was the perfect ending to a perfect year of running.

I am very proud of the work I did in 2012, and other than one non-start in the Buffalo Marathon, I met every goal I set for myself. This includes my first 100 mile finish, that has haunted me since I started ultra-running.

Now my thoughts are focused on 2013.  I spent the night before Thanksgiving, plastered to my laptop, trying to finalize my race schedule for next year.  It's not complete, but here is what I came up with:

Beast of Burden Winter 100 miler:  January 26- If the weather holds out, I will make every attempt to complete my second 100 mile distance.  But, I'm no fool.  This course is tough in blizzard conditions, and if Mother Nature is cranky, I'll drop my 100 mile goal and make this a long training run with friends. 

Rock and Roll (half) Marathon DC: March 16-  My role in this race will be to coach/mentor Noah to the finish line of his first marathon.  I'm registered for the half, as I couldn't resist the urge to run at least some of it.  Looking forward to seeing Lisa, Gary and Chad on this course. 

Gettysburg Marathon:  April 28- Ever since Gary told me about running this course with his dad, I've wanted to try it.  It will be a good speed tune-up for my next race as well.

3 Days at The Fair 100 Miler: May 16- Oh Jim, if this is the only way we'll get to see each other on a course, then so be it.  With Marco by our sides, pacing us through, this will be my second or maybe even third 100 mile finish.  Plus, it should be a fun road trip to New Jersey.

Segahunda Trail Marathon:  May XX-  I just love the sweatshirt they give at this race, and the only way to get another one is to run, so....

Finger Lakes 50k/50 miler: July 6- I'd like to see what I can do on this course when I'm not stung by a bee.  Chris runs a great race, and I'm looking forward to going back.

20in24 Ultra:  July 20-Roger gave me some of the 'cons' of running this race, but I just loved running in Philly and I've not seen all there is to see, so I'm going back.  I've got a Plan A and a Plan B for this race.

Beast of Burden Summer 100 Miler:  August XX- If the fates allow, I could be competing for the coveted double buckle for completing both the summer and winter 100 races in the same year.  If I drop from the 100 in winter, then I want to use this race as my first chance to get a BoB 100 buckle.  

Virgil Crest/Oil Creek 100  VC TBA   OC October 5- Roger if you are reading this, I still haven't made up my mind.  I will be running both races, but the distances are still TBD.  Which ever I choose, will be my 'A' race for the year.

Mendon Ponds 50k Date November XX-Just a fun 50k that I look forward to running.  I wouldn't miss it.

Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phunt 50k 2021

Mendon Ponds 50k Race Report

My Life as a Dirty Girl