I have this hat.  It was one of the first things I ever received from Brooks.  And, it says “Run Happy”. It’s in rough shape, since I’ve worn it to almost every marathon I’ve ever run.  


It won’t be long for this world, but, as I put it on this morning, I thought about just how important “running happy” has been for me.  Today would be no exception.


Before I left, Nat asked if I’ve run this race before.  I couldn’t remember. We had to go to the wall. “Mom, you’ve ran it TWICE!”.  


“Oh!, Now, I remember.  They had clowns at mile 24.  Who puts CLOWNS at mile 24???”


I shouldn’t have shared that tidbit.  She used it against me when I asked her to join me and run the 5k.


Then she followed with “ Mom, actually, running is not my thing.  How about we take a yoga class from Megan?”


It was similar with Noah:
Boy:  “Mom, find me a race”.
Me:  I’m all over that.  How about Mississauga?  Net downhill. Gorgeous lake views and it puts us in Canada during hockey playoffs.
He was in!  I was pumped!
Then reality hit…
“Mom, that’s during finals.  And, I’m getting into long distance cycling.”
“No worries, Kid, I’ll set you up when you’re ready.


I took one more shot at bat:
Me:  I’m going to be in Ontario.  You want to run a 10k?
Mark:  I lift heavy stuff.  I’m not a runner.
Me:  I’ll train you.
Mark:  Sigh. Ok
Cool!  I got one!!!


Mark ended up running a solid sub-hour 10k.  He was very happy, but knew it was only a diversion for him.   He’s got other goals.


I ran a solid marathon, and couldn’t have been happier with my performance.   I ran nice even splits and just did what I do. I took in the scenery (which did NOT include clowns) and let my legs roll through the distance.   When I finished, the announcer called out “That’s Eva Basehart. She’s a marathoner extraordinaire”. Mark even made me a Tigger sign. I truly was running happy.


Driving home, I could not help but count my running blessings. I fell asleep in the car with true happiness on my mind.  There were thoughts of what is to be and what has already been. I thought about how lucky I am to be part of such a beautiful sport and to have my hands on the pulse of it.  Even in my sleep, I was very excited to get going on my next adventure and happy that I had this challenge, that I took on with gusto!


If you’ve read my blog, you know that I’ve thought of stepping away from running from time to time,   Those thoughts are gone. That was only a hairline crack in the armor and that hair is gone.


So, the others in my home may find their happy lifting heavy stuff, taking yoga or biking, but as for me, I’m going to keep running,  And, you can be dang sure, I’m going to Run Happy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phunt 50k 2021

Phunt 50k

Mendon Ponds 50k Race Report